Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Did you know that The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian was one of the top ten most frequently challenged books of 2014 in the US?
It was pulled from the Meridian (ID) high school supplemental reading list, challenged at the Cedar Grove Middle School in Wilmington (NC) and suspended from the Highland Park, (TX) Independent School District's approved book list by the school superintendent.
Reasons: anti-family, cultural insensitivity, drugs/alcohol/smoking, gambling, offensive language, sex education, sexually explicit, unsuited for age group, violence. Additional reasons: “depictions of bullying”
Learn more about Challenged/Banned Books
- Schedule a block of 15 minutes per day of reading time.See how many pages you read during this focused time.This will give you an idea of how many minutes you need to give yourself to complete the required pages in a timely manner. Sustained reading will also improve your ability to focus (work that brain muscle)!
- Carry your book with you and read during down time
- Waiting for class to start
- In the Dr.'s office
- Waiting for your date to get readyJ
- Read with intention: Know what assignments are linked to the reading and annotate or take notes accordingly
- Discussion Board Posts
- Argument/Research Essays
- Midterm and Final Exams, maybe?
Novel Reading Assignments
Week 1: Purchase the Novel
Week 2: Read pp. 1-47
Week 3: Read pp. 48-98
Week 4: Read pp. 99-149
Week 5 Read pp. 150-196
Week 6: 197-230:Complete the book!
Topics for Discussion and Research
- American Indians
- Native Americans
- Tribal Casinos
- Indian Reservations
- Indian Gaming
- Tribal Sovereignity
- Spokane Tribe
- Coeur d' Alene Tribe
- Ellen Forney, Illustrator
- Wellpinit, WA
- Reservation Life, Health
- Indian Country